Sunday, February 6, 2011

A traditional Newfie supper

This Sunday we tasted a traditional Newfoundland supper at Randy & Karen's place.  We ate roast moose, rabbit and pork as well, this is a slight variation on the traditional Jiggs dinner.

Randy had caught the rabbit, not sure about the moose and the pork leg was from his home town on the island (i.e. Newfoundland island).  I have eaten rabbit before, but this rabbit had a very strong flavour and I couldn't eat too much of it, maybe because it was wild rabbit(?) The moose was very tasty, it reminded me of lamb actually, but maybe it just looked like lamb rather than tasting like lamb.  Cooper kept asking for more meat so he obviously liked the moose!  Steve said the pork was very nice too.

The vegetables are cooked in a very big pot of boiling water on the stove.  Salt meat is added to the pot for flavour along with whole potatoes, whole carrots, half a cabbage, turnips and turnip tops (these are the greens). Pease pudding and bread pudding are also boiled in muslin bags in the pot.  Newfies love their gravy so a whole saucepan of gravy is made from the meat drippings and is generously poured over the whole meal.

As some people know, I eat and enjoy most foods so I went back for seconds (and thirds).  The pease pudding was especially good and the bread and onion pudding with gravy reminded me of eating stuffing, which I love.  To accompany the Newfie supper I made my first ever pavlova!  Karen, who lived in Australia for a few years, requested the 'desert made from egg whites'.  What a feast!

2 comments:

  1. The Jiggs dinner link says there is "very little cold storage" - that sounds rather strange to me given your climate?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts Kristy -you make all your stories a very interesting read. The dinner sounds rather interesting. It will be those experiences that you'll remember and cherish when you leave Canada.- Claire

    ReplyDelete