Sunday, April 17, 2011

Taylor's Skating Show

I first started skating around 3-4 months ago. Since then I have learnt many new tricks such as spining, jumps, foot glides, etc. About a month ago I got asked to be involved in the annual skating club's Ice Show. I had the option to skate in numbers with my normal group level or in something called Black Light. Black Light is where all the lights in the skating arena are turned off but certain lights are left on that show neon & white colours. The theme of the Black Light this year was 'Harry Potter'.

During the practice's we had every Wednesday afternoon and Saturday Morning people that were invloved kept telling me how a guy called Joey Russell was going to be in  the show. I had no idea who Joey was but learned that he is a world famous skater from Labrador City.  Interested in finding out more about Joey, I looked him up on the internet. I read about where he was from and what he does now. I found out that he used to skate in the skating arena I skate in now. I also found out that he was the first Newfoundlander to ever place in skating, he is the Canadian Bronze medalist in Nationals this year.

It was the day of the first show and we had our last practice in the morning. I started skating around and saw a face that I have seen before but didnt know where. I asked one of my skating friends who it was and they immediately replied "thats Joey Russell!" I was so suprised, i just stood there and watched him skate around and do tricks that you would only see on TV in the winter Olympics. When we started showing him the whole Black Light routine, he picked it up instantly. He didnt have to learn much, just where to go and what tricks to do.

The show started at 6 and everyone was ready. Joey did his award winning skating number and other local skaters did theres. When it was finally time for the Black Light performance, everyone was dressed in their wizard robes and had their brooms and wands. The show was amazing, we even got a standing ovation!

The next day my friend told me that the starskaters got a one-on-one practice with Joey. I decided to go watch and see what he showed them. I took my skates with me so I wouldnt have to bring them that night for the next show. When I got to the arena, I sat to watch them, but then Jennifer asked me if I wanted to join them. Nervous with the desision I made I went out and joined them. I was so scared of what he would think about my skating but I finally decided to let him help me. After everyone had their turn he came up to me and asked me to do a spin and a waltz jump. After I did those he asked me how long I had been skating for, I finally told him "3-4 months" and he was totally amazed! He told me that I was doing so good for the amount of time I had been skating. I wouldnt be surprised if I went bright red by then. He asked me where I was from and I told him I was from Australia and he replied that he knew an Australian skater that went to worlds with him. I was so happy that he thought I was good at skating and that I should keep doing what I am doing.

That night was the final show, it was exactly like the night before although when we took out last bow, I bowed with Joey and we laughed together as we skated off. I cant wait for the next years Ice Show when I'm in Starskate and then Joey can teach me more complicated moves in skating.

 
Joey Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment