Friday, December 24, 2010

Nice Rack!

Since moving to Canada I have been really wanting to know more about or even better, see a Moose.  Moose hunting was a free for all at one stage but now you must have a license to hunt for them and you are restricted in the number you can kill.  One of the guys at work, Walter Standing, is a very keen hunter and he tells me that the antlers are made of calcium and they fall off and grow back every year - hard to believe because they are so huge!  Walter had a license this year and he went on vacation to the island of Newfoundland.  After another successful hunt, Walter brought back this nice rack to Lab city and one day he asked me for my car keys so he could put something in there.  I finished work that day, went down to my car and what a surprise - a beautiful 16 point rack.  I am now looking to get it treated and mounted etc so I can hopefully bring it back to Australia.  Some locals apparently cut off the head and tie it to the front of their truck as a trophy then drive round the town - I can't wait to see that!  Other expats here are looking to get the whole head and bring that back but I can't imagine I would feel very comfortable with Bullwinkle looking down at us from the mantle piece.  I still haven't seen a Moose, but I will before long.  In the meantime, I've got a great rack!

No comments:

Post a Comment